For Hire

Friday, December 19, 2008

peace love hippie holiday


For those of you who know me since my early beginnings in Switzerland, you are aware of my fixation with window display and could probably tell everybody about some of my own display concepts I was doing back then for some of my Swiss clients... anyway I am not going way back there, but it is still natural for me to want to check out the famous displays that large department stores such as Barneys New York, Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, etc. are setting up for the holidays. They are usually loaded with creative ideas - just great to walk upon - and are sure to put you in great holiday spirit!


These are the Barneys Holiday 2008 windows, which you should not miss, as the details of each are particular and whimsically inventive.

Each window depicts this year's theme of Love & Peace - fitting - whether it's featuring a Volkswagen Beetle or "Kaefer" in German, counter-culture women or celebrating the 50th anniversary of the peace sign or the 40th years since the hippie hey days of 1968's Summer Of Love.



This year you can actually win a New Beetle Volkswagen, if you enter the competition, painted by artist John-Paul Phillipe, inspired by the decor of the sixties. I hope I win it, as I would love to drive around town with it wearing my Jimi Hendrix Hoodie or some of my original Hippie Grateful Dead Wear from my Fashion Rocks Collection, it would just put the dot on the i and you know I adore sets as well as concepts thought trough all the way...



... if I don't win it, I can paint my own. Love this old original VW bus too! It's just the spirit!


This is one of my dolls wearing a Beetle/Love & Peace Sweater, the only thing missing in the Barneys windows, if you ask me.

And - yes - you guessed right, I have another item that fits the Summer Of Love theme: This tie dyed Grateful Dead Skirt (from the IV Fashion Rocks Collection) with the bear driving the Hippie VW fits the bill!!!


Some of my hippie patches, which will undoubtedly be in high demand this season:


PEACE & LOVE - that's right!


No comments:

about IDILVICE

My photo
New York, NY, United States
Just like the rare Swiss mountain flower Edelweiss - a symbol of prestige and distinction - the clothing brand IDILVICE (pronouced "Edel-vice") was born in the mountains of Switzerland and since then it's flourishing on the concrete of Manhattan and recently even in the rolling hills of the San Francisco Bay Area. However as the spelling indicates, the label is not meant to be associated with too much folkloric alpine tradition, but rather and probably in the contrary, with unconventionality. The IDILVICE label was founded in 1995 by Swiss Native fashion designer Idil from the city of Saint Gallen, Switzerland, who's foundation dates back to the 7th Century and which became famous for their quality textile products, especially embroidery textiles, which are still popular with Parisian Haute Couture designers today. In search for something less traditional, Master Graphic Designer Idil ventured out to New York City where she fell in love with American Pop Culture.