For Hire

Sunday, January 4, 2009

three tenors

I know, tomorrow we all go back to our regular schedule and there will be no more automated responses to my emails and my posts are more or less about fashion again. Enough already with the booze, cookies and turkey feasts! Christmas is like Halloween: not my favorite part of the year, holidays in general are a bit of a drag.... I used to like them when I was a child, because they seamed exiting and we did not have to go to school for once, but when you are an adult, holidays are pressure to have a good time, even when you don't feel like it. That is why, if you don't get a chance to be together with family, it is the best time of the year to get away, really, it's cold and frisky and besides some great seasonal features such as unique window displays around town and some indeed lavish house parties, you won't miss a thing... or maybe you still do??

Well, one thing, which caught me by complete surprise and thankfully before I left, I would not have wanted to miss is this unique transmission on PBS:



Before I start gasping and lashing out on the details, let me tell you: I am by no means a classical music fan, but when a huge orchestra (Vienna Symphony) is joined by the Gumpoldskirchner Spatzen Children's Choir and led by 3 incredible Tenors - the very best frankly - are on the menu, I have to give in.

Placido Domingo. Jose Carrera. Luciano Pavarotti. Pavarotti being my favorite of the three in terms of character and Placido Domingo the most sympathetic. Pavarotti is huge - a bear I suppose - and his voice shatters everybody and everything. Not having heard him means not having lived. I just adore him!!! Sadly, if you have never heard him live, it's too late as he has already departed this earth and mother earth has lost her voice.



It was just an abundant joy to see and hear the 3, softly giving respect to one and another where it was due. It seamed that especially Mr. Carrera was a big admirer of Pavarotti's as whenever it was Luciano's turn and his voice hit the walls and ears, he could not help but look over to him and - only he nows what he was thinking - but there was a look on his face that spoke a kind of disbelieve of what he heard. It's true, Pavarotti's tone is unearthly, an angel's voice.



Hearing them go through not only American X-mas carols but also many of the ones we used to sing, accompanied by my Grandmother "Omi" on the piano back in Switzerland, such as "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" and "Oh Tannenbaum", was - what can I say - pretty unique! I was moved to tears.



The harmonies were what ultimately killed me, as well as the nostalgia that came with everything... I turned the volume up to as high as it could go with out ruining the speakers. I did not care about any neighbors! I was just happy I did not miss this. A good way to end the year and to start a new one. In that spirit they sang "Happy X-mas! War Is Over If You Want It." written by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. So true. So true.



A standing ovation followed - truly, truly deserved.


No comments:

about IDILVICE

My photo
New York, NY, United States
Just like the rare Swiss mountain flower Edelweiss - a symbol of prestige and distinction - the clothing brand IDILVICE (pronouced "Edel-vice") was born in the mountains of Switzerland and since then it's flourishing on the concrete of Manhattan and recently even in the rolling hills of the San Francisco Bay Area. However as the spelling indicates, the label is not meant to be associated with too much folkloric alpine tradition, but rather and probably in the contrary, with unconventionality. The IDILVICE label was founded in 1995 by Swiss Native fashion designer Idil from the city of Saint Gallen, Switzerland, who's foundation dates back to the 7th Century and which became famous for their quality textile products, especially embroidery textiles, which are still popular with Parisian Haute Couture designers today. In search for something less traditional, Master Graphic Designer Idil ventured out to New York City where she fell in love with American Pop Culture.